Skip to main content

Count Me Out Of The Rise Of This Epic Financial Bubble

One of my closest friends recently said something to me that has stuck in my head for a few months, he said: "One day we'll all look back and ask 'What did you do back when MONEY WAS FREE?'"... He definitely made use of the opportunity. I have tremendous respect for him for a number of reasons, but mostly because he was "early", in my mind.

The thing that strikes me though, is that this is the psychology of the market. People rarely question how ideas get into their brain, but especially since 2008, that's pretty much all I do. I always look for the hidden message, the hidden meaning, the hidden anecdote.

(Backing up a few years) When I moved to Washington, D.C., after leaving active duty, I got a great paying job and wanted to get my own place. I was looking for a condo in Arlington, Virginia. I went to my credit union and they offered me a mortgage for $280,000. This was in 2005. I was shellshocked when I went to my first "priority preview" event for new condos in Arlington. Studio's were being priced in the $390,000-$420,000 range. What took me a really long time to understand, was that this exactly characterized what existed during that time, the real estate market was in a BUBBLE.

Despite working in one of the hottest industries, and having an excellent salary, I was priced out of the market. I decided to sit on the sidelines, actually, I was pretty much forced to sit on the sidelines.

(Ok, back to the present.) ... "when money was free." I've not had much of a conversation about it with my friend since, but that quote, to me, is the psychology of the market place. It's pervasive. Interest rates are at historically low levels, and they HAVE to be. Fifty-Thousand Dollar Cars won't sell if they don't have 0% interest with 7 year repayment loans. Houses? Well hopefully you aren't going out and looking around metropolitan areas for houses, they are incredibly expensive, AGAIN.

The psychology part of the economy is the most interesting to me. What worked in the economy since 2008 was getting people to go out and believe that their money was going to be worthless if they didn't spend it NOW. The psychology of prices, of nearly everything, going through the roof has a tremendous effect. The reality of what we've been living through over the past 9 years is the expansion of CREDIT, marginally from historically low interest rates, to zero and even negative interest rates.

It's my contention, that this psychology... The psychology of the Federal Reserve printing more and more money to chase you out of savings and into spending money, has, what I call a "saturation" effect throughout the world. More and more people borrow more and more money, until they, frankly, couldn't afford to pay the principle on the money they borrow if interest rates went up by half a percent. (This eventually leads to folks suggesting Negative Interest Rates... which essentially means paying back less than you borrow... I know, crazy)

The RUB YOUR FACE IN IT signal that the Federal Reserve really cannot force you to spend money can be seen in commodities. The "narrative" of more and more dollars being printed in 2008 sent a barrel of oil skyrocketing to up over 140 dollars a barrel. The problem though, was that high prices scared people away from gas guzzlers (demand destruction), and welcomed new sources of energy (new digging, new offshore wells, alternative energy).  Today a barrel is hovering below $50. This idea that the FED can cause long-run inflation by buying treasury bonds (QE)... is at least partially debunked.

Ok... why am I saying all this? I really have nothing to gain by sharing my thoughts. The truth is... I really think it's important for you to understand that there are lots and lots of logical fallacies about the stock market, investments, and the world that the market, and Wall Street preys on. These fallacies continue to drive stocks to astronomical valuations, and drive more and more people into the speculative mania that exists today.

I'm not going to sit here and predict that we are going to see another financial crisis this year, or a 50% market correction next year, but prudence suggests that this is NOT the time to be 100% invested. Historical investment returns when the market reaches valuations like we see today have meant negative forward returns. Until the day comes, skeptics will be bullied and bruised... but at least if you come to your senses before the crowd, you won't be the slowest camper when the Bear comes.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price You Pay Does Not Matter - How Microsoft reflects poorly about the return prospects of investing in the stock market

Microsoft is the most valuable company in America. You probably didn't know that.  Few people know that Microsoft commands the largest valuation in the S&P 500.  It is an economic powerhouse, returning to shareholders substantially well over 100,000% return since IPO. Microsoft isn't a hot stock anymore, business schools probably have moved on from teaching about Amazon to Lyft or Uber at this point, not Microsoft.  Maybe they've even moved on from them to talk about fake meat companies like BYND.  Goodness forbid they teach about anything related to WeWork or...   Ok I'll stop while I'm ahead. Microsoft commands a truly impressive market capitalization of over 1.1 Trillion dollars.  This pales in comparison to our national debt, but is an impressive figure.  They have 38 billion dollars in INCOME, each year.  They have 130 billion dollars in sales (revenue) each year.  The Price to Sales ratio is 8.3x, a truly ridiculous figure. ...

2084: Why Total Government Control From Cradle to Grave Is the Future We Deserve

It’s time we admit it: freedom is overrated. The burden of personal choice, responsibility, and individuality has plagued humanity for too long. From the chaos of deciding which cereal to buy in the morning to the terrifying uncertainty of retirement planning, life is simply too complicated. Fortunately, there is a solution. It’s a radical one, but it’s the only way to free ourselves from the burden of freedom: total state control over every aspect of our lives, from cradle to grave. Think about it—what have our “freedoms” really gotten us? A chaotic world where we’re bombarded with endless choices, distractions, and responsibilities. Every day, we wake up and are forced to make decisions: where to work, what to wear, whom to marry, what opinions to hold. What if, instead of being weighed down by such trivial concerns, a benevolent government made all these choices for us? Imagine the relief of never having to think for yourself again! Let’s start with the basics: birth. Why should par...

From Tea to Tokens: How the Spirit of the Boston Tea Party Lives On in Bitcoin

In 1773, a group of colonists in Boston dressed as Mohawk Indians boarded ships in the harbor and dumped 342 chests of British tea into the water. They weren’t just protesting a tax on tea—they were rejecting the idea of taxation without representation and centralized control by a distant empire. That act of defiance would become one of the sparks that ignited the American Revolution. Fast forward to today: a different kind of rebellion is underway. But this time, it’s not against a monarchy—it’s against a monetary system controlled by central banks, governments, and entrenched financial institutions. And the protest doesn’t take the form of crates tossed into harbors. It’s digital. It’s global. And it’s called Bitcoin. The Boston Tea Party: A Revolt Against Monetary Tyranny At its core, the Boston Tea Party was about sovereignty. The American colonists were being taxed by a government in which they had no representation. Worse, the British East India Company was granted mono...