Skip to main content

Value Investing - The Makings Of An Alpha Return Algorithm - Part Two

Two weeks ago I wrote a blog about my quest to create an algorithm, partially human-aided, that tries pick a portfolio of stocks to attempt generating Alpha.  In summary, I try to rank stocks according to the ratio of my calculated "Graham Valuation" and the current stock price, and then through a manual process of eliminating companies with undesirable traits or statistics, I pick a list of potential winners.

Probably the most important question, among many that I do not answer in the first post is,  how well has this algorithm performed over time?  The reason this is so important is:  if you cannot consistently beat the S&P 500 index over an extended period of time,  then there is no reason to invest in anything other than an Index Fund.  In other words, stock picking would be a fools game.  Please Note: This is different than "timing" or "trading" the market, which will be the subject of a future blog.  It was also the subject of this blog that I wrote.  


The Backtest:


So I've been collecting stock statistics on most of the stocks in the Russell 3000 for a little over a year now.  There are ways to get larger datasets, but I'm working on a frugal budget, and what little time I have to write code and analyze the results.  After writing the previous blog, I decided to do some of the work and analysis as the subject of this blog.  Side note, making your work public can be a good motivator to answer some of the questions that come up.

For those following along, I posted a bunch of statistics from May 1, 2018 here: http://www.operative.cc/stocks_20180501.htm Per the previous blog, the stocks are ranked according to the value ratio that I described.  Since we'd have to wait into the future, testing this current ranking wouldn't make much sense as of today.

Luckily, I have a similar spreadsheet that my code generated from 2017 that we can use for our analysis.

Drumroll:  http://www.operative.cc/stocks_20170211_results.htm

So my algorithm, using data from February 11, 2017, ranked the stocks according to the same value ratio described previously.  I added an additional column "Price Change to May 5 2018" to show how each ranked stock performed from February 11, 2017 to May 5, 2018.

To my surprise and at first glance,  there seems to me no discernible pattern on an individual basis of stocks that performed well versus stocks that didn't, at least according to just the value ratio ranking.  The results look somewhat scattered.  This is where aggregation and averaging may matter though. Let's see if we can't dive in a little deeper and see what may be going on.  Interestingly, if we average
the performance of stocks by decile, we have something to show.



It looks like the first decile are largely "throwaways", which my manual analysis accounts for by throwing away stocks with "one-time" earnings boosts and other anomalies.  One of the things my algorithm doesn't account for is weighting.  Interestingly, while I don't have all of the data from all Russell 3000 stocks from February 11, 2017, I have about 2219 of them.  The actual performance of the Russell 2000 over this period was about 15.2% whereas the aggregate average of all stocks in my list is only about 5.52%.  The reason for this is that the Russell 2000 and Russell 3000, and the S&P 500 are actually market capitalization weighted.  In case this is not intuitive for you,  the premise is that bigger companies with larger market capitalization are a larger portion of the total index.



I will take weighting into account in the future when I do my calculations, but the result here is nonetheless interesting.  Over this period, from February 11, 2017 thru May 5, 2018, I see significant clustering of performance in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th deciles.  While there is a significant performance gain that was achieved during the same period by weighting with "larger" companies like Amazon, Netflix, Google, etc., there seems to be a strong correlation with my calculated Value Ratio and performance.

Awesome!  Happy Investing!

Robinhood is one of the greatest financial innovations of the past 100 years.  No longer do you need to buy 100 shares in order to moderate the cost of commissions on each trade.  Robinhood transactions have absolutely no commissions, allowing small investors to dollar cost average with as little as 1 share at a time.  This is amazing!

If you like this post, consider signing up for a Robinhood account at https://share.robinhood.com/nathanl801

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Price You Pay Does Not Matter - How Microsoft reflects poorly about the return prospects of investing in the stock market

Microsoft is the most valuable company in America. You probably didn't know that.  Few people know that Microsoft commands the largest valuation in the S&P 500.  It is an economic powerhouse, returning to shareholders substantially well over 100,000% return since IPO. Microsoft isn't a hot stock anymore, business schools probably have moved on from teaching about Amazon to Lyft or Uber at this point, not Microsoft.  Maybe they've even moved on from them to talk about fake meat companies like BYND.  Goodness forbid they teach about anything related to WeWork or...   Ok I'll stop while I'm ahead. Microsoft commands a truly impressive market capitalization of over 1.1 Trillion dollars.  This pales in comparison to our national debt, but is an impressive figure.  They have 38 billion dollars in INCOME, each year.  They have 130 billion dollars in sales (revenue) each year.  The Price to Sales ratio is 8.3x, a truly ridiculous figure. ...

2084: Why Total Government Control From Cradle to Grave Is the Future We Deserve

It’s time we admit it: freedom is overrated. The burden of personal choice, responsibility, and individuality has plagued humanity for too long. From the chaos of deciding which cereal to buy in the morning to the terrifying uncertainty of retirement planning, life is simply too complicated. Fortunately, there is a solution. It’s a radical one, but it’s the only way to free ourselves from the burden of freedom: total state control over every aspect of our lives, from cradle to grave. Think about it—what have our “freedoms” really gotten us? A chaotic world where we’re bombarded with endless choices, distractions, and responsibilities. Every day, we wake up and are forced to make decisions: where to work, what to wear, whom to marry, what opinions to hold. What if, instead of being weighed down by such trivial concerns, a benevolent government made all these choices for us? Imagine the relief of never having to think for yourself again! Let’s start with the basics: birth. Why should par...

From Tea to Tokens: How the Spirit of the Boston Tea Party Lives On in Bitcoin

In 1773, a group of colonists in Boston dressed as Mohawk Indians boarded ships in the harbor and dumped 342 chests of British tea into the water. They weren’t just protesting a tax on tea—they were rejecting the idea of taxation without representation and centralized control by a distant empire. That act of defiance would become one of the sparks that ignited the American Revolution. Fast forward to today: a different kind of rebellion is underway. But this time, it’s not against a monarchy—it’s against a monetary system controlled by central banks, governments, and entrenched financial institutions. And the protest doesn’t take the form of crates tossed into harbors. It’s digital. It’s global. And it’s called Bitcoin. The Boston Tea Party: A Revolt Against Monetary Tyranny At its core, the Boston Tea Party was about sovereignty. The American colonists were being taxed by a government in which they had no representation. Worse, the British East India Company was granted mono...